Kitchen area of only 4 square. m unusually tiny even for Khrushchev. It is difficult to fit everything you need on such a small area, but it is actually possible. The main thing is to pay attention to the details and carefully plan all the stages of the arrangement - starting with the repair of the premises and ending with the choice of curtains. In this article you will find a complete design guide with practical tips, cool ideas and a selection of 50 interior photos for inspiration.
The easiest and most effective way to visually enlarge a small kitchen is to decorate most of the interior in bright colors, for example, in white, cream, light gray and light beige.
To visually facilitate bulky headset, decorate the walls to match the facades. Then the furniture seems to dissolve in space.
But if you want to achieve a super effect, we advise you to place your bet on the white color and arrange at least the walls and kitchen set for them. So you can visually "push" the walls, "lift" the ceilings, add light and make massive furniture less cumbersome. By the way, the white color is quite practical and even less marks than the dark shades (except for light fabrics).
Kitchen design 4.7 square meters. m
Kitchen design 4.7 square meters. m
Do not be afraid to turn the kitchen into a hospital ward. The trick is that if you choose a soft and slightly warm shade of white (for example, the color of baked milk, the color of eggshell, etc.) as the main color, and also combine interesting materials and textures with each other, then even the monochrome interior will be cozy and alive.
An additional one or two color or dark accents will also relieve the feeling of sterility. Dark colors even help to “enlarge” the space. For example, a black apron on the background of white facades of the headset would supposedly "fall through", giving the space volume and depth.
The kitchen in the studio in Khrushchev, converted into a studio apartment
Apartment plan before and after repair
- Increasing the kitchen due to adjacent rooms by moving the partition is an optimal solution when the isolation of rooms is necessary and important.
Keep in mind that any redevelopment requires coordination.
Repair, decoration and minor alterations of the premises
Equipping your baby-kitchen from scratch, adopt the following ideas for small, but very useful rework:
- If the kitchen is not gasified, and you are ready to partially combine it with the living room or hallway, then give up the swing door or at least move the hinges so that it opens to the outside, as shown in the following photo.
Arch in the kitchen in Khrushchev
- In the gasified kitchen, the open-door trick will not work, according to the rules of the SNiP, a door is surely needed. Fortunately, it can be any, so we recommend replacing the regular swing door with a sliding or folding ("accordion").
- There is another method - the transfer of the doorway and its narrowing, because often even a dozen centimeters are sometimes crucial.
- The window sill in the 4-meter kitchen should not stand in vain, it must be put into action. For example, you can embed it in a kitchen set and equip it with drawers or turn it into a bar counter. To do this, in the repair process, you need to raise or lower the window one level with the lower tier of the headset and install a tabletop.
Now let's talk about the finish. When the kitchen is extremely small, even the way the floor is laid and the walls are important. So, finishing the floor with wide and long boards, as well as lining the walls with wallpaper with a large and bright print, will “eat” the already tiny space. But the correct finish will help great to expand it.
- The floor should be laid diagonally (this applies to tiles, and laminate, and parquet floor, and floorboard) or across the kitchen (if it is narrow). Laying pattern is preferred in a run or herringbone.
- If the walls are very crooked, and you do not want to sacrifice precious centimeters for the sake of leveling them, then we recommend pokleit structural wallpaper (it is possible for painting). The relief of such wallpaper will make drops and curvature less noticeable.
- Ideally, the wall is best to just paint in one tone. It is both practical and beautiful, and good for increasing the size of a mini-kitchen.
- If the kitchen has a ceiling height of only 2.5-2.6 m, it makes sense to arrange one or two walls with wallpaper with vertical stripes, a vertical pattern or a rhombus.
Design project of a small kitchen in a Khrushchev with striped wallpaper
- But in a narrow kitchen, horizontal lines and zigzags work well (see photo below). They can be drawn independently using masking tape according to the stencil principle.
Chevron on the wall
- Pasting on one of the walls of the wall-paper with the image of the road going into the distance (or any other picture with perspective), you are guaranteed to deceive your own vision and the kitchen will seem bigger. The main thing is to design the rest of the walls and the interior as a whole with restraint and minimalism.
- Another trick to deceive the eye is to decorate the walls with large mirrors. The larger the mirror, the more effective. A full-wall mirror will turn 4 squares of your kitchen into all 8 square meters. m. If you mirror the wall opposite the window, then the light in the room will be more.
See also our other materials:
Kitchen set in the kitchen of 4 square meters. m can be built only linearly or, if you try, then G-shaped.
- Having built the kitchen linearly, the refrigerator can be transferred to another wall and the storage system can be supplemented with a shelf on wheels (believe me, it is more spacious than it seems) or a small cabinet with drawers.
The interior of a small kitchen in Khrushchev
Kitchen with mobile shelf
- The corner kitchen will take up more space, but will also accommodate more lockers and surfaces for preparing food. You can save space with an L-shaped layout due to the installation of a sill (it will become part of the letter D) or a reduced depth of its sidewall. Well, if the side of the headset, located near the doorway, is not only narrowed, but also stripped down (see photo below). So the passage to the kitchen will be freer. And one more advice - it is desirable to leave one of the walls without wall cabinets, then the kitchen will not seem cluttered.
Corner set with beveled sidewall
- To use the full potential of the kitchen with a very small area, you need to use its height. Therefore, we strongly advise you to design a headset to the ceiling. In the upper tier, you can hide the duct and store things that you do not often use. By the way, a high headset is good and the fact that its top does not need to be wiped from dust.
- In addition to the top of the headset, a secluded place for storing small things can be equipped in plinths by integrating drawers into it.
- To leave more space for kitchen furniture (including the dining group), the refrigerator can be taken out into the corridor altogether. This is not very convenient, but sometimes it is just necessary.
In addition to these two layouts for square kitchens available and the most convenient, but impressive in size U-shaped layout. To build a headset in this way on 4 squares, the dining room will have to be abandoned and taken out, for example, in the attached living room or replaced with a bar counter, made on the basis of a window sill (which is built into the U-shaped headset). Since the passage between the sides of the letter P must be at least 90 cm, it is possible and necessary to embed a window sill into the headset and make one or two sidewalls narrow and preferably bevelled at the corners.
As for the design of the kitchen, we recommend choosing facades without panels, perhaps even without handles. Gloss facades (see photo) or doors with glass inserts are perfect, as they will reflect the light and facilitate the interior.
To work space 4-meter kitchen turned out and compact, and functional, it must be equipped with mini-format equipment.
- For a family of 3-4 people, a narrow dishwasher with a width of 45 cm is suitable. For singles and couples, an even narrower PMM can be purchased - 35-40 cm wide.
- The fridge should also be narrow. Due to its high "growth" it will be quite capacious.
- Three-burner hob - ideal for families. If one or two people live in the apartment, then you can choose a stove with two burners.
- The oven may be small, and the ovens are also good, which can also function as a microwave oven.
It is important that all the equipment was built in, because the more homogeneous all the fronts, the neater and easier it will seem interior.
Options for arranging the dining area in the kitchen area of 4 square meters. There are not so many meters. After all, only very small tables and compact chairs will fit here.
- The table is best to choose square or rectangular, folding, sliding or with folding wings. That is, it should be easily transformed, say, from a double table to a four-seater.
- More mobile versions of the table for the kitchenette: bar, coffee table or folding tabletop. By the way, a bar counter or a folding table can be made on the basis of a window sill.
- Chairs fit light and functional. For example, stools, folding chairs, invisible chairs (made of polycarbonate) or benches will do. The latter are good in that they have drawers under the seat and do not require a reserve of space behind them.
Lighting from a single central chandelier, which gives a dim light with sharp shadows - this is the worst thing that can happen with a small space. If you want the kitchen to look spacious, light and cozy, use instead of a single ceiling lamp a few spot spots or a couple of wall sconces. The chandelier is best hanged not in the center of the room, but directly above the table. And, of course, do not forget about the furniture lighting in the work area.
Kitchen interior 4 square. m
In the decoration of the kitchen area of 4 square. meter should not get carried away, as an abundance of small parts will create a feeling of confusion and clutter. However, it is impossible to do without decorations, because it is the decor that creates the residential look of the interior and reflects the tastes of the owners. We recommend that you limit yourself to a wall clock, live plants, a pair of wall panels or posters, candy or a vase of fruit on the table. And do not forget to pay attention to the choice of dishes and textiles. They must fit the interior in color and style.
As for the window design, the best choice would be short and concise patterns of curtains, for example, Roman or roller blinds, short curtains made of soft fabric, blinds and curtains-cafe. If the kitchen windows overlook the north side and there is a total lack of daylight, then it is better to leave the window without any curtains.